Batesville Fire Dept
The organization of the Batesville Volunteer Fire Department began with a meeting of some of the citizens, which took place in 1886 in a two-story frame house located where the Geis Electronics & Appliance is now situated.
Perhaps the main reason for this meeting was the big fire, which took place in 1885, when the Union Furniture Co. and several nearby homes were destroyed by fire.
Eventually on April 6, 1887 a constitution was adopted which provided for the organization of the Batesville Volunteer Fire Department. This constitution provided for the following officers: Chief, Assistant Chief, Hose Captain, Lieutenant Hose Captain, Captain of the Engine, Lieutenant Captain of the Engine, Hook and Ladder Captain and Lieutenant Captain of the Hook and Ladder. The first meeting held was on April 13, 1887.
A list of the Fire Chiefs from past to present:
The Ladies Auxiliary was formed in 1952 with Rose Ollier elected president. The auxiliary is very supportive of the firemen and help in many ways.
Doctor Bill Freeland joined the Fire Department in 1954 and with his help they were able to provide an emergency life squad. They answered all calls within a 15 mile radius. In 1956 they purchased a Chevorlet carryall. Doris Brelage, R.N. was the first woman admitted as a member of the Life Squad in 1974. Today the Life Squad has 22 members all of whom are Emergency Medical Technicians. 7 of the EMT's are also volunteer firemen. The Life Squad averages close to 600 emergency calls per year.
The Batesville Rural Fire Association was started in 1956. There was a need to service those outside the city limits so they formed their own organization in conjunction with the City Fire Department.